Saturday 17 May 2014

Back in the working world...1 year on.


No goal was ever met without a little sweat.

I can remember the phone call telling me I was successful for the position of a motor claims handler. I remember telling everyone and myself that it was just for a year, until I decided what to do with my life....that was back in 2008.

14th May marked the first year of work completed after my accident. A whole year, it has gone so bloody quick that sometimes it doesn't seem real. It's true what they say, it's like I have never  been away. I am so so lucky, when it comes down to work. They have been amazing throughout my recovery, especially since I have return.

I have been back so long that there are new starters who only know me as being in a wheelchair, I find I have to stop myself telling them I haven't been this way forever.They don't care either way as long as they get an answer to their question. ( Well apart from the member of staff who wondered what would happen if he fell down a cliff. Yep, he got the 'Staveley Stare')

It has been a rollercoaster of emotions this past year, been up and down so much that even I get queasy thinking about it. I admit it hasn't always been easy, had my good and bad days. Days where the injury is determined to take control of my life and I have to leave because I am in so much pain. (Yes the same pain that I have previously mentioned). Then there are days where I forget about the injury and I am just a normal person at work, having a chat amongst friends and worrying about whether I have hit productivity or not.

I guess it is all trial and error, right? until I find something that works for me, sometimes I am so impatient, I always want things done yesterday and when they are not it drives me mad. For example, when I press the call button for the lift I expect it to be there ready and waiting for me. It drives me crazy. Just like when I go to use the loo and find it locked, so after knocking on the door it turns out the cleaner is in there cleaning. This happened everyday for at least a week, in the end I had to tell the cleaner that I have set times to use the loo so can they clean it at another time. Seriously could there be a bigger hint?! That takes me back to my stint in hospital...every single day I was asked if I wanted a hot drink, and every single time I replied with no thanks, I don't drink hot drinks. God that really got on my nerves.

The last few weeks has been a wave of appointments and shift changes,sometimes I don't know whether I'm coming or going. Still trying to find something to help control the pain, or even just to make it more bearable, so it does not control my life so much. I have said it before, but I would be so much more happier if I did not get this stupid pain. It interferes with my life so much, work, social, family ( ok so maybe I'm not to fussed on the family part ). It's so frustrating, and even more frustrating when I try and explain the pain, and even more so because I can't feel my dam feet!

Coming back to work is one of the best things I could of done, I don't understand how theses people that do not work, do it? I was determined to get back too normal, anyone who wishes they did not have to go to work. Believe me, you will be crying out for reality before long. This one of the biggest goal to achieve,I've done that now, it's a year on and old news. My next goal (as always)is focusing on my legs, getting more movement back if possible and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment